Fifth in line: Supporting Male Character nominations for 2010~
*Add appropriate unintelligible noise here*~ Because my throat hurts… >.<’’ This all happened because I had a singing binge with my buddies and then ended up on two podcasts this weekend; not to mention loads of presentations that I had to lead since Monday… So, basically my throat literally feels like jelly. Ugh… Anyway, before starting off, let me reiterate that all my nominations are from titles that began airing in the year of 2010; therefore, the ones that started last year and finished in 2010 does not count (like, how I had to let go of my beloved FMA: Brotherhood because it started airing in 2009). For an update, I have covered the following:
- 2010 Year-Ender – Anime OPs
- 2010 Year-Ender – Anime EDs
- 2010 Year-Ender – Male Seiyuu
- 2010 Year-Ender – Female Seiyuu
Before getting to the main and popular categories, let us first consider the characters that make our main protagonists’ life easier by helping them achieve their goals directly/indirectly. These are not specifically sidekicks because in some stories they are as important as the main protagonists. Again, the list is not in any particular order. Here we go:
1. Hinata – Angel Beats! He’s the happy-go-lucky guy, who makes it all seem so easy for Otanashi, when it’s not. He’s almost ready for anything and got his friends’ backs (getting him hurt, oh so many times!); not to mention what he did for Yui. One of the best scenes in Angel Beats! and I’m not going to spoil it for you.
2. Hoshi – Arakawa Under the Bridge /x Bridge
I love this character so much! HOSHIIIIIIIIIIIII. He’s a very persevering man, stooping to many levels to get the girl he likes. He keeps on trying even if his heart aches every time he sees Ric and Nino together and knows for a fact that he has no chance. Part of the Arakawa support team, give him some love! Who knew Amazonness would hear me so soon…
3. Sister – Arakawa Under the Bridge /x Bridge
SUCH MANLINESS! Even in a habit. Who can pull that off? Our very own SISTER! A covert operative, who still has battle scars. He is the one who will devise plans for defending the Bridge-residents. He can do almost anything but fails miserably in front of the woman he has lost his heart to. Part of the Arakawa support team, salute this guy for bearing through so much!
4. Chief – Arakawa Under the Bridge /x Bridge
The head honcho of the Bridge people. He is a youkai Kappa, who protects the villagers with his godly powers… Yeah, right! But I was somewhat right about the latter part because he is indeed the protector, so what if he wears a kappa suit and goes crazy in heat during Summers? He’s still one of the most dependable guys out of the bunch of weirdoes. Part of the Arakawa support team, drumrolls for the leader!
5. Shinra – Durarara!!
As Jun Fukyuma voices him with such jubilation, he’s like a kawai nekko with excitement to match. However, the kind of father he has, his closet is full of skeletons; not to mention he’s an underground doc, treating the special and untreatables. He is famous for his patchwork and is head over heel for Celty, a supernatural being he can’t get enough of. You can see him getting beaten around by her on different occasions… M much? Now I know the reason for Taro!
6. Dotachin’s gang – Durarara!!
Kadota, Yumasaki, Togusa and Karisawa make a deadly group. So what if they were not part of the Dollars in the beginning? This nomination is specifically for the guys, whose work is not just hanging around Ikebukuro but taking care of some srs bsns. Just don’t face them when are busy or else Togusa might just run you over.
7. ETU’s Cream de la cream – Giant Killing
Murakoshi, Gino, Tsubaki, Kuroda, Sera and the gang. These guys make the East Tokyo United what it is. Of course, under Tatsumi’s guidance but the combined effect of them all makes Giant Killing, one amazing anime to follow. It converted me, a sport-anime disliker to a liker. Yes, it is that good and you are in luck because you get to marathon this rather than me, who followed one cliffhangered episode to another… >.>
8. Kouta – Highschool of the Dead
The gun-happy, crazy geek. You could imagine him as that overweight nerd, who sits around and tinkers with his stuff and a very close relative of Yutaka Itazu. BUT, dude, don’t typecast him because he knows his stuff and is more brilliant than you could ever be. Kouta becomes an asset to the zombie-killing squad with his expertise in weapons. Yeah, a weapon-otaku in a zombie flick; marriage made in heaven.
9. Tsuchimikado/ Styil – Index II
The young Heiwajima Shizuo… Oh wait, young Oshino Meme…. Tsuchimikado is powerful and resourceful both. His bleached blonde hair and glasses would give you the impression that he’s another highschool misfit. Wrong! He’s a secret operative with the backstabber codename. Be his best friend or else he might just turn you in. Styil… he’s so HOT! Ahem. I mean, his expertise is actually fire and he’s one helluva sorcerer. He has been tamed by the Necessarius but he would do anything to get Index out of harm’s way. Someone stop him from smoking though or else he would be the youngest one to get some lung disease because he’s just 14!
Awesome AMV made by Shikume Kyro
10. Grell, Lau and Undertaker – Kuroshitsuji II
I was glad to see almost the entire supporting cast of Kuroshitsuji return in the second season. Grell was funny as usual, Lau his mysterious self and Undertaker pretty much at par with his creepy standards. It’s always fun when these guys are on screen.
11. Ganryu – Otome Youkai Zakuro
The lucky bastard who has not one but two sisters falling for him. The icing on cake is the fact that the sisters are twins. Yeah, let the twincest ensue. Though, am I glad that this is not like Yosuga no Sora! >.>
12. Smile/ JK – Occult Academy
The inseparable duo. Though, PLEASE, ONEGAI, no one write/draw a fanfic/doujinshi on them. Oh wait, someone already did at pixiv…. >.> Fandom is strange indeed! These two sure need your love because even after being so awesome, they were pretty much neglected in this series.
13. Tohru – Shiki
The only good-looking human in Satoba… Oh damn, he’s not human anymore and has been okiagarified. Even if he has turned into a crybaby vampire, he’s still adorable in a very lost-puppy-dog kind of way, making you want to take him home. I want his plushie NAO!
14. Shu – Kuragehime
Mr. Goody Two Shows, the thirty-year-old virgin political protégé. If you were me, you would stay away from this dude because for him outwardly appearance is what matters, while he spends his life on a strict rule book. He definitely needs to lighten up and soon. Sad fact is, our Tsukimi-tan is infatuated with him… >.>
15. Ozu/ Higuchi/ Jougasaki – Tatami Galaxy
One of the weirdest characters you would ever come across while watching anime. In the end, every one of these makes Tatami Galaxy, one awesome series to catch!
- Starting from Ozu, he’s your scheming devilish friend, who would literally catch you with your pants down and at the wrong time. Just hope that while you are blundering about he has something constructive on his mind or else you are done for!
- Higuchi the philosopher; he loves Captain Nemo’s story and can open your life in front of your eyes with a new meaning. Very learned and might be a youkai. His motives are still quite dubious though he likes to learn new things and travel around the world.
- Jougasaki, the pervert. He is that handsome guy you sometimes interact with a weird quirk. In his case, it’s boobs. I’m not kidding; he has a wall full of them… Though his true love is another matter altogether.
16. Working!! Dudes – Takanashi, Satou and Souma
The under-powered civilized guys, who make working!! enjoyable as hell. Even when they have very less say in how things should go, Satou and Souma are the teachers who show Takanashi ropes of how to go about the continuously bungling female staff of Wagnaria. Cheers for the guys for still having their sanity intact.
- The whole Angel Beats! guy gang (Noda, TK, Matsushita, Ooyama, Chaa, Saitou, Fujimaki, Takamatsu, Naoi and Takeyama). I mean they were great in every way. And those awesome Engrish lines from TK. Classic!
- Soma and Agni – Kuroshitsuji II. They always amuse me and my favourite bit after Sebby’s “Yes my lordo” is actually “Jo Agya~”.
- Awesome bishies of Hakuouki , Sengoku Basara 2 and Togainu no Chi. Very awesome to look at and with an actual story rather than mindless fight scenes and no plot. Er… this makes TNC look weak but no fear, the amount of screaming-red blood and Shiki-appearance will keep you busy.
- Takagi – Highschool of the Dead. That’s Saya’s father for you. I just wish he got some more screen time because Nakata Jouji deserved time! Hoo~
- Shintani – Kaichou wa Maid-sama! Give this guy a medal for leaving an impression even when he was introduced in the last few episodes.
- Emonzaemon – Katanagatari. He sure was dedicated and mysterious. That is all.
- Garter belt and Brief – Panty & Stockings. I would wish for Brief to never be alone with the preying maneater. 0.0
TIME TO VOTE! Vote ON! Just to remind you, don’t forget to vote for the previous category nominees because that is how the final Fan-favourite Awards would be arrived at. Now, time to show for your favourite Supporting Male Character of this year. Again you get SEVEN (7) choices so, let us know which of the nominees you voted for and why? Till my next post, ja ne~ ^^