Heyo~ finally had time for the Summer Anime Status after my longest post ever (Fall 2010 review FTW~). Some site update and plugs, before I go on to my top 15. August was a very good month here at Metanorn because we not only got some new blood but achieved some awesome milestone as well. The site has been buzzing with life and many updates; it’s better now to go check out that next page because of rapid posts. I finally had time to sit back and put up my feet after compiling all the judging process and many backend site updates (we are at WordPress 3.0.1 along with some much needed addition of plugins, emoticons and header banners xD). Who would have thought that my birthday month September, would be bringing the first total site lockdown for around 16hours, causing many heart attacks not only for Metanorn authors/regulars but every Kokido-kombine client (Iso and Eri would agree with me on this >.>). As I said in my announcement post, hopefully it would not happen again but site regulars can always track my twitter for such unforeseen updates.
- Our Headhorn section has been updated with current banners.
- You can now subscribe to our posts and further comments. If you can’t see the subscribe box for any browser issues, you can always send me your email ID for subscription at email@example.com.
- As announced in the left sidebar, send me a shoutout at firstname.lastname@example.org if you face any site issues.
- I’m simmering up an interesting post about the active authors of Metanorn, which would also include our Fall plans, who would cover what. We plan to cover the first impressions of almost ALL Fall shows except for the skip list so look forward to it~.
- And, it’s been more than half a year since I started ani-blogging. Wow, time sure flies when you are having fun! ^^
Some Shout outs and love:
- To the new Metanorn Authors: it’s been awesome knowing you all and am I glad to have a varied team with different tastes! Thanks for being so dedicated and for all the hard work. Much love and adoration to Ryuuko, Hato-kun, Overcooled, Hoshi, Masu and Flags! <333
- To all the site regulars, WE LOVE YOU GUYS & GALS! <333
- Much love to the awesome 7, the main admin of Kokido-Kombine.
- To all the fellow-bloggers from the Kokidokom, if I don’t have your link on the blogroll, drop me an email. ^^
- To the great Divine (someone I really look up to), who added Metanorn to RC’s blogroll.
- Bass of Sekijitsu, for being saved from that earthquake in Christchurch! Same for Hato-kun, who lives in the same area. I had such a scare when I heard about it.
- Mint from Sekijitsu again, just for sending some good thoughts; those stitches sounded scary!
- Sharing the love for the people behind the DDD Podcast, the only ani-podcast I listen to and whose logo I designed last month; was a fun experience all in all.
- Happy Birthday to a fellow-virgo, Scamp from the Cart Driver; I swear I’ll get to love Break Blade. XD
- To Epi, for completing the 100th post milestone; awesomeness! I just checked and I’ve reached that already if I include my posts from Sekijitsu. Wow, I feel like an old ani-blogger! ^^
Sei no~ This will be another bi-monthly Anime Status (the last one being May-Jun), as work has been hectic as usual and I’ve done more of backend work than frontend since past month except for truckloads of music updates. I’m writing this just to get it out of the way before we start off full blast with the first impressions of Fall shows starting this week (Tamayura being the first one is already out, closely followed by Samurai Girls). Also this is my sheer way of dealing with accumulating stress; I watch horror shows and write to deal. Yeah, I know I’m weird and unique (pun intended). ^^;
Disclaimer: Before getting into the detailed comments, let me remind you, Constant Reader, this is a very personal list so expect biasness, favoritism and fangirling. I follow a lot of shows simultaneously and that is the reason my watch list goes in double digits. Also expect spoilers regarding titles I’ve nominated below. So, if you haven’t been keeping up-to-date as per the episodes mentioned, skip them for spoilers. Also, if I bitch about your favorite show, gomen~, I get my choice and same for you! ^_^
Before fawning over Fall, Summer line-up was not impressive at all if you look at the number but it has not been as disappointing as I was expecting it to be (at least we got some good titles). From the Summer review done, I’m following 80% of the shows; watching almost everything except for Nuraaskdjhaskjdhaksjh and Seitokai (Ryuu, don’t kill me! xD). Interestingly enough, I will be watching some of the ones I didn’t mention on the list and steer clear of some out of pure habit:
- Mitsudomoe for one, was just too loli-fodder for me (there’s something more than disturbing about kiddish looking characters making sexual jokes)
- Strike Witches 2, if I didn’t bother with season one, why would I for two?
- Blessing of the Campanella… Asobi ni Ikuyo… Sekirei… See point two and fanservice galore. Look here, I already have a backlog of many good shows that I need to marathon so not wasting my time with these.
Definitely watching: I need to catch up to Sengoku Basara Ni, Legend of the Legendary Heroes and Break Blade because the first few episodes/ preview was enough to pique my interest.
15. Bleach (281/?): Uh… I am so behind this…. I’ll marathon this at some point but fatstarr just told me that fillers are back so I think I’ll stick with the Manga for now, which I’m enjoying more these days finally that some progress has happened! Bishie looks of Ichigo with overgrown hair helps too. XD
14. Uraboku (22/24): It’s almost at its end and alas to the seiyuu-wonder (Hiroshi Kamiya, why are you not doing more shows this fall?!) that kept me hooked to this. When is Starry Sky releasing anyway?! Oh right, I just got my answer of that: Autumn (Dec 2010). This shouldn’t be called bromance at all because the main pair were male/female in their previous lives and there’s seriously no development whatsoever. If anybody watched this expecting something like Koi Suru Boukun Yaoi-goodness, you will face epic fail!
13. Naruto Shippūden(176/?): Finally caught up to this and the Pain arc was not so bad. Except for some blobby animation in the middle, it ended well with Naruto being the village hero. Well, I already knew that as I’m following the manga. xD
12. OVAs: Both these get honourable mentions just because.
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood – 4-Koma Theater (9/?): This is the Omake by Arakawa-sensei, which were included in the manga now animated for the DVD releases. I literally PFFFTTT in many places because it was so funny. E.g., Scar baring his bosom (wearing a bra no less!) to hug Winry because he killed her parents and want to be both mother/father to her… =_= Also, Mustang singing a silly lullaby about his tyranny, while Hughes makes his last call to him…. XD
- Tatami Galaxy Special (1/3): Did they really show Ozu as an octopus? Well, somehow very suiting but the story was pretty much again doused in Captain Nemo references. I was just happy to hear Sakamoto Maaya!
11. Ōkami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi (10/12): I was a bit weirded out by this series in the beginning because of the character design of Ryouko resembling Taiga from Toradora!, who I didn’t particularly like and followed the series mostly due to Ryuuji; that badass delinquent look suited him so. Also, Ryoushi didn’t help matters with his scopophobia and the annoying narrator. I got through it all just because the way he grew on me and all the silly stupidness that supporting cast can cook up. This was not a classic for sure but a light entertainer for sure. Ryuu(ko)’s doing a brilliant job in covering this for Metanorn.
10. Amagami SS (8/24): Anime based on dating-Sim game… hmm. Usually, I would run as far away from this I can but as I sample everything; I did and the first episode wasn’t that bad. The animation was good, especially the lighting and the character designs, likable with silly quirks and fetishes. The progress was amazing and I think a major factor for keeping me hooked. Personally, I liked Kaoru-arc more than Haruka because that seemed more natural and identifiable rather the almost fake scenario that played out in the first arc. I’m literally steering clear of the Sae arc because truthfully, I can’t stand her voice at all and as Flags makes a point of narrator reproduction (it’s a trap!), srsly I’ll stay away! Though, I’m looking forward to Nanasaki and Ayatsuji arcs.
9. Kaichou wa Maid-sama (23/26): Episode nineteenth will remain to be my favourite just because it not only showed the megane-Usui but the cute interaction between the main couple. Also, finally Hinata gets introduced who has been in the OP for like since the beginning! This just proves that J.C. Staff really didn’t plan this series well. With only three more episodes to go, I would like to know more about Usui’s past and resolution about the main couple. Even if I trolled my readers in the current review I did, I hope we get a good end to this one.
8. Darker than Black OVA (4/4): The last OVA was much high-paced than the previous ones; though things happened exactly as we thought it would. Yin branching out to Izanami and a lot of explanation after season one timeline. I’m hearing the whispers of the third season of DtB already; I just hope it doesn’t get milked to the point that people who love it come to hate it.
7. Katanagatari (8/12): Shichika sure has grown from the unfeeling katana to a man, who would take responsibility for his actions. The fight with his sister was one of the tensest moments in series. Also, who else thought that Togame’s short hair suit her more? This is going really well and I enjoy each episode release per month. I love to read Xiao-chan and Hato-kun’s reviews for this.
6. Giant Killing (23/26): Aaarghhh… this is becoming such a pain these days! The last cliffhanger was such that I wanted to scream and shout (which I stifled because it was 5am in the morning! >.>). The production quality remains the same (not the best out there), though the subject matter of football and lovable characters keep things interesting. I just hope they don’t drag the current game till the end; only three episodes are left damn it! >.<’’
5. Eden of the East Movie 2: Now, this was a good movie. It helped that I watched this in Blu-Ray and animation details were awesomeferric! Of course, I enjoyed it more because I really liked the series. This was much better compared to the first (which had even more confusion added to the mix), because it had a good conclusion. Akira would always be Akira and Saki would always support him; the only thing I really missed was his ‘bang’ shown only once in the entire length of the movie.
4. Kuroshitsuji II (8/12): I marathon’d the first season this weekend and I can’t wait to catch up to the current episode, like SOON (IF only I had more time!). I’ve steered clear of Hoshi’s reviews just to not get spoiled but they were tantalizing to say the least! I’m a big Ono Daisuke fangirl and who would not melt under the gaze of Sebastian, one hell of a butler? Bonus points for Sakamoto Maaya voicing Ciel, the best Shouta hands down. The character singles released till now have been highly amusing, I mean have you heard the fangirly Fukuyama Jun’s Grell? The cute and calming Yuki Kaji’s Finny Mirai no Omoide; Sasuke the singing sensation, Sugiyama voicing Will after all (the only thing missing was the clicking sound of his clippers XD) and last but not the least OD’s Aru Shitsuji. Yes, we are a bunch of fangirls at Metanorn. xD
3. Highschool of the Dead (10/12): I am amazed to see this on my top 3 because I usually shy away from fanservice/ecchi. But forget about that for a minutes and I would jump just to see a zombie-fest and whaaa Madhouse?! I’ve been their fangirl for some time, not only because they are releasing Supernatural animation in Jan 2011, mind you, but have animated some of the animu that I really loved: Aoi Bungaku, Death Note, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Hellsing Ultimate and Youjohan Shinwa Taikei are just to name a few. Couple that with a gory zombie-fest and I would sign up like Sunako-chan from Wallflower going fufufuu~ to match, without turning into a perpetual Chibi though.
I have to agree that sometimes fanservice is too much on your face but then again it’s followed by either some awesome team fighting sequence or brooding monologue by Takashi. Pure win in my book; also Nobuyuki voicing Kouta was like the best decision ever! Did I mention I really like Saeko? I have this affinity towards strong female characters with purple hair (remember my Senjougahara fixation? It’s still there! See a pimped kimono-laden version of her on my twitter XD). I don’t know how Madhouse would end this series because there’s no end per se except you fast forward to some months when all the zombies have decayed off and the only humans remaining would be the winners. We’ll see with only two more episodes remaining….
2. Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin (10/13): Though I really like you Occult Academy but I’m sorry to say, Shiki took your top spot. You were so near it after that amazingly emotional episode this week. What started as a mundane ghost busting mission, turned out to be a brilliant eye-opener for Maya’s character and plot progress in general. I wasn’t sure about this at the beginning of summers; though I became sold on it after watching the first episode. This had Kyokai written all over it. You would ask, why? Well, being a tsundere helps… not to mention sharing some traits with Maya; just don’t think I wear a white band and the same clothes throughout… ^^;; With only three more episodes to go and pulling up a looming death scene; I’m definitely on tenterhooks for this one and only wish it to end well. I like to read Vivi, Joojoobees and Kabitzin’s thoughts on this one.
1. Shiki (10/22): SHIKIIIIIII!!! I not only love your name (Ryougi Shiki anyone?!) but the fact that you are one of the best horror anime I’ve watched. Not to mention, you are one of the few shows I watch on 720p, at night and with headphones on like a hardcore horror otaku. You have given me few jumps, many OH-SHIII, OH FUU-s during the journey and many lovable characters that I fangirl over constantly (see the main image and Shiki Metanorn header banner). Also, I have a special place for the anime I review, like I cover this for Sekijitsu. This series has really gone above my expectations of delivering exactly what I wanted: suspense filled horror moments that leave you on the edge of the seat, loads of skeleton in the closet, developing characters, thriller of acute cliffhangers and excellent background music that gels well with the whole pacing. From disliking Natsuno in the first episode, I’ve come to love his tenacity to face fears head-on, same for Toshio who is fighting with all his might.
Even when I already know most of the characters would be turning vampire in the next two-three episodes, leaving only Toshio and the Tanaka siblings. It was still heart-wrenching to see Tohru doing the deed PWN’ing Megumi in the process. This was one of the best yet surprising scenes from Shiki. I can’t wait for the next episode and don’t even talk to me about a hiatus. Like, NOOOO!
o. Special mention, Kara no Kyoukai: I just need to take this out of the system that I’ve finally finished all movies. This will remain to be one of the top favourites of mine, not only because I simply love Shiki’s character, but my love for Sakamoto Maaya started from here. Also, Mikiya’s mai waifu~ XD After I was done with it, I felt like the story was not over yet and I needed to do something to rekindle the feeling of sadness and elation. I went in search for finding stuff online and interestingly no one really got into the depths of it unless you count a podcast done by flags. Maybe I’ll do some collab work on this if I get time. But, while drafting this post, Baku posted up this gem on KnK from the RRFDP archives, which I’ve already talked about. To all the hardcore fans of this series, listening is a must. Ufotable also made the fans happy by announcing an Epilogue release bundled with the Blu-ray box set in February 2011; so looking forward to it.
From the backlog, recently completed: Kara no Kyoukai, Cencoroll, Elfen Lied, Kuroshitsuji, Kurenai and Denpateki no Kanojo.
On-Hold: TTGL (1/27), Working!! (3/13), Buccano! (4/16) MariaHolic (1/12), Mushishi (2/26), Clannad/ After Story and Paranoia Agent. You can check a detailed list at MAL.
Fall 2010 Watch-list: Fall looks simply awesomeferric to say the least! I’ll be watching most of the below:
- Arakawa Under the Bridge S02
- Iron Man – 3 episode test
- MM – 2 episode test
- Tegami Bachi Reverse
- Hakuouki S02
- Star Driver
- Psychic Detective Yakumo
- My Sister Can’t be This Cute
- Samurai Girls – 2 episode test
- Panty & Stocking – 3 episode test
- Yosuga no Sora – 2 episode test
- Otome Youkai Zakuro – 2 episode test
- Shinryaku! Ika Musume – 2 episode test
- The World God Only Knows
- Togainu no Chi
- Soredemo Machi
- Index II
- Bungaku Shoujo
- Yozakura Quartet
- Megane no Kanojo
- Occult Academy Specials
- Kuroshitsuji II Specials
- Mardock Scramble Movie
- Bleach – Jigoku-hen Movie
- Onigamiden Movie
- The ones in bold are the ones that will be making or breaking the season in my opinion.
- The ones without any comments are the ones I’ll be following regularly.
- 2-3 episode test would determine if I’d continue watching.
So, wow, A LOT to look forward to, I’m already excited! Till next time, Ja ne~