It’s almost summer, a high time for anime status and some randomness!
It’s been solid two months since I started writing for Metanorn and I’m loving the comments and interaction over something that I’ve come to love: Anime! (A resource of mine has started pronouncing it ‘ENEMY’, whenever he sees my ever changing wallpaper/anime blogs I check out. Of course, he does that looking at my mood; because when I’m mad I give him more than a playful whack on his head: more work! XD)
Heh, office humour aside, my taste in anime is varied and still evolving. I started mainly with Shounen but then switched to supernatural, mystery, selected Shoujo and even tried some Yaoi for a change, still need to see how Yuri goes. I’m pretty open to anything interesting whatever the genre maybe, just don’t bore me to death and I’ll be a happy camper. My attention span is erratic but all boils down to the subject matter and its treatment.
So, Kanzie’s on hiatus but she suggested compiling anime status as the last one was done in January. Also, I wanted to go a bit beyond episode reviewing and share my impressions of the series I picked from the Spring Season along with current watch-list, hold-list and dropped-list… Err… I know too many lists. Without any further ado, let’s begin!
Disclaimer: This is particularly very personal and opinionated list according to my views so if your favorite anime is not on it or I’ve bitched about it, sorry. I get my opinion, you get yours; respect. Also, this was pretty deliberate 20, which I started with 14 but included some more to make it a round figure. This may also have spoilers from series that I’m watching so if you are not very updated on the ones discussed in a bit more detail, be wary.
I’m not much of a sports fan, so Oofuri, Ring ni Kakero and Major are out. However, Giant Killing’s on Hold-list because I liked how the first episode started and may watch it when I’ve more time. Rainbow: another on Hold-list. Too gritty yet there is something there. I was overwhelmed with the first part of EP1. Very intense, I might give this a watch if time is sweet on me. These two are dark horses that may show up in the next update.
20. B Gata H Kei: I would be honest; I didn’t waste my time on this. About first times and fan service. Sigh, NO.
19. Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou: I gave it the first episode test. Future demon king meets fundoshi-wearing Junko. Nudity, shredded clothes, lots of panty shots. Err, I would rather spend my quality time reading Harry Potter than this. Dropped.
18. Angel Beats: I just watched episode 2 for finding a change in my opinion. Didn’t get any. Moe kids as supposed angels fighting a faction. A barrage of characters that do not get time for development. Animation is good though due to fluttering storyline couldn’t grab my attention. Fail and dropped.
17. Sex Pistols: This was amusing as hell! Get ready for BL Bishies and Madararui, people who are not the decedents of Apes but different animals. Let’s not get into too much detail but it does have a lot of weird backstory. Oh yeah, there’s a possibility of progeny too. Men getting pregnant? Am I watching Junior? Neko ears and manimal tendencies, Seiyuus (special mention Tomokazu Sugita as Yonekuni Madarame) and good animation made this watchable.
16. Bleach: Stupid filler gone and finally we are back to the main Arc. Even when I initially liked the Zanpakutou arc, the Sword demons completely ruined it for me. The ensuing fight between Ichigo and Ulquiorra, huhuuu~ especially looking forward to both their transformations.
15. Naruto Shippūden: Finally the fillers are done for and we will soon see Naruto in sage mode. Yatta!
14. Uraboku: I was continuously reminded of Vampire Knight’s character designs and environment when I started watching the first installment of this series. I kept remembering Zero’s voice saying that typical, “Yuuki”. However, it’s not Miyano but Takahiro Sakurai voicing the lead hero Zess (also known as Luka to Yuki). Seriously had an overdose of Orewa omaeyo uragira nai. I would quote kanzie here, “it’s so bad it’s watchable!” Also, I LAWL’d on Reverse Vampire’s Shizuo resemblance to HOTsuma!
13. Working!! I had almost dropped it after two episodes but I hear from Xiao-chan and Zyl that it’s getting better and it’s still funny with a lot of moe moments. What would keep me going? The funnies and Seiyuus: Daisuke and Hiroshi.
12. Senko no Night Raid: I was all set to drop this but gave it a first episode test anyway. I was expecting spy anime and got a mash-up of X-men and Baccano! all rolled into one with a political touch. The first thing I observed is that I don’t like Chinese being spoken in a Japanese anime. It was kind of grating to the ear but after that was over, the pacing was good and characters are pretty interesting. Will need to see more to be objective about this.
11. FMA: Brotherhood OVA 3, Tales of Master: It was hilarious!!! Izumi Curtis is one of my favorite characters so thoroughly enjoyed her battling with bears and raiding the Briggs’ soldiers for food. The end skit was just LAWL.
Sig: Ah, I think you forgot something, miss? Your dead bear?
Izumi: Ah, apologies!
Hands touch and they instantly fall in love. LOL! Divine has pretty much said all that I wanted to say.
10. Naruto Shippūden Movie 3: Inheritors of the Will of Fire: Usually, I’m not much entertained by Naruto/Bleach movies but this one is an exception. I thoroughly enjoyed the return of almost all the supporting characters from Naruto (Teams from Chūnin Exams). Lots of funny moments and even Sai mustered some funnies. Jiraya and Gaara are always WIN so all in all a good watch. Flags has done a very interesting review on it.
9. Hakuouki: Another period saga, dealing with the Shinsengumi in Kyoto. Somehow I remember Samurai X here but that is pretty different from what Hakuouki is all about. Started watching this for the bishies only but the story and characters sucked me in. The character designs are excellent and ambiance is classic and mellow. There are many characters but few more prominent than the others. I especially noticed Hijikata (maybe because he’s voiced by Miki – Roy Mustang, Urahara Kisuke), Chizuru, Harada, Saito and Souji. The pace is a bit slow but the sword-fight scenes make up for it. This is basically a reverse harem but with the shounen feel doesn’t go overboard into the romance genre or even fanservice. Meaning, I’m still up for it.
8. The Tatami galaxy (Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei): Awesome fun! Expect loads of madness from Mad House! I wasn’t really sure about this one. I gave it one episode to make up my mind but the nameless protagonist, Akashi and Ozu sucked me right in. Visually it’s very different and sometimes even kaleidoscopey (made up word). With the feeling of déjà vu and wacky moments, I will see this to its end. Of course, not everyone has to agree with me like hellomotto, who’s still testing it out.
7. House of five leaves: This is definitely a very unique series. The art is interesting, scenic and beautiful. The characters are distinctive and something we are not really used to. The face cut reminds me of monkeys and maybe the artist was thinking about Darwin theory? Who knows? Ladies are definitely not very striking yet they still possess something very deep in their features. Everything is immersed in mellow classic Japanese environment of Edo and background music gives it a very vintage feeling.
The two main characters keep me going. Yaichi is one cool dude! The half-mast eyes and air of indifference, voiced by “Takahiro Sakurai” (Oshino of Bakemonogatari, Kira of Bleach, Cloud Strife FFVII *swoon*). He’s a kidnapper by profession that can resolve a heated fight with mere talk. I’m pretty sure the flashback of kid Seinoshin was Yaichi, who might have been abandoned by his family. The timid Samurai (Masanosuke Akitsu), is quite anti-social and has a problems of being stared at. He’s a strong samurai yet is very easily overwhelmed with words and has a habit of finishing everything with gozaru. Daisuke Namikawa (Kazehaya of KnT, Ulquiorra of Bleach – such difference of tone!), voices him. He gets trapped into working for Yaichi but I think he would come to like it. Joojoobees is much more updated on this than me.
6. Darker than black Gaiden 02: Honeymoon awesomeness is still on! However, pretty much everyone is after them. I’m a Hei/Yin shipper so like their every moment. Yin seems more complicated yet with more emotions now. What would they end up with only two more OVAs to go can be anybody’s guess but I hope we get some resolution to their relationship rather than just hugging and vague gestures.
5. Nodame Cantabile Finale: Finally finished all three seasons and available OVAs. Mukyaaa~ Nodame is one crazy chick but I love this craziness about her. Chiaki is one aloof otoko. Gyaabun~! I liked the first season than the following ones but at least the Finale had that resolution, which I was desperately waiting for. Still awaiting OAD, where are the RAWs?! =.=;;
4. Kaichou wa Maid-sama: Usui and Misa-chan are total WIN! A fellow enthusiast Mint observes the perfectness of Usui being spotlighted only for humour. He’s definitely overprotective of Misa-chan but in a very endearing way. The comedy makes this watchable with new characters added every other episode. Also, the early confession helps the chemistry between the pair.
3. FMA: Brotherhood: This is one of my favourite anime, one of those that really got me going for anime-fandom. I think it would be the first time that an anime adaptation and manga are ending almost at the same time next month. I loved the last episode, Hohenheim finally coming up with a cool plan. Now how far that would take him is what we’ll find out in remaining episodes:
2. Arakawa under the bridge: The best anime of Spring Season till what I’ve seen. For me SHAFT is a hit or a miss. I liked Bakemonogatari but hated Vampire Bund so when it was Arakawa’s turn, I was quite apprehensive of what to expect but from the first episode, this series has surprised me with a twisted storyline and weird characters that turn weirder and weirder still – in a good way though. When the first episode featured Kou’s shiny ass, I was reminded of Hagashi no Eden’s Akira’s entry and thought, hmm, would I like this or not? (I’m guilty of not liking Eden till the end of third episode after which I was hooked). For Arakawa, second episode was the deciding factor for me, I will follow this till its end.
Of course, Hiroshi Kamiya and Maaya Sakomoto are total win under the skins of Rec and Nino. Being the main pair, they still have a lot of ground to cover around each other as Nino’s a Venusian(!) and Kou’s a stickler for not being indebted. I like the supporting characters too: Top most are Sister and Maria (I especially enjoyed Arakawa Haikus by Halfdeckshort: Do not mean to laugh / But that’s the strangest thing I’ve / Ever seen, bear nun), Star, Chief, Stella, P-ko and the twins too. This is for those who enjoy something different that is much more situation-driven rather than character driven. There’s lots of comedy and funny moments that make you LOL more than you thought it would.
1. Durarara!! This was so predictable to be the top anime! Who can forget Durarara!! from Winter season that is going EPICLY well! Finally, the time has come that the three protagonists have taken their responsibility for doing something about the city they live in and people they want to protect. Of course, Izaya is pulling their strings but hopefully things would never go according to his plans, when Celty, Shizu-chan and Simon come into the mix.
I don’t remember from where I got this genderbender picture but it’s hilarious as hell. Mikado and Masaomi look so cute! Anri somehow seems so appropriate. Shinra pretty much remains the tomboy (does that mean he’s a tomgirl? @_@). Celty should have shown some manly muscles but Izaya still looks smexy-self along with Shizu-chan, equally awesome! XD
Will not touch (zettai~!):
Kissxsis: Step sisters or not, falling for the same loser guy?! Egghh! Hentai, loli! In similar voice as Maria.
Heroman: I mean seriously? Who watches this? I would rather watch reruns of Superman/Batman.
Ikkitousen Xtreme Xecutor: Maybe the next BS season would have another X completing the ritual of XXX’s?
Shin Koihime: Third season of some shit anime. Sorry. Bows out.
Romance of Three Kingdoms: not my cup of tea.
Mayoi Neko Overrun! Cat ears are cute but not always!
K-On!! (s02): haven’t watched season one and people whose comments I trust say I’m not missing much, so there.
On-Hold: Katanagari (2/12), Bakemonogatari (7/15, waiting for the last episode to air after which I’ll marathon it), Buccano! (4/16) Book of Bantorra (2/27), Hetalia (25/52) and Kuroshitsuji (8/24).
End Thoughts: I hope you enjoyed the anime status of April! Who knew this could get so long! =.=;;
Spring season has been mucho promising than the winter season, from which I only picked Nodame Cantabile Finale and Drrr! I’m almost watching 60% of the above list on regular basis. I might drop some and take on the dark horses. All depends on time.
PS: Three new banners of Arakawa, Uraboku and Maid-sama have been added by Kanzie. Hope you like them! ^^;
PPS: Maid-sama picture snagged from songofcherry.