It’s with a very heavy heart, I said goodbye to Fullmetal Alchemist Manga few days back when its last chapter came out. What to say about a masterpiece that I’ve been thoroughly enjoying since last 3 years?
All good things must come to an end and that is what happened with FMA’s legendary run. I seriously shed a tear of joy for all the character development and so many plot developments I was rooting for. The good thing is that this would soon be animated and end on 4th July, 2010 with Brotherhood. This is a double treat for all the fans that have been entertained by the series throughout these years.
The best thing about FMA is not only its story but the alive characters. The story is definitely fantasy but their relationship with each other is as real as you and me. Of course, it’s not serious all the time and the lulz and growth of characters with time is what makes this a classic. For example, Ed started off with a height complex and always went over the brink whenever called chibi, almost Shizuo-ish with madness. It never helped that he was rejected by Winry in their childhood game of who-will-marry-Winry for similar reasons. Well, what do you know? He grew out of that!
Who does not love Alphonse? Whose soul has been anchored in armor? His and Ed’s continuous struggle made this series golden with never giving up in worst circumstances. Even with all the sadness, these two made us laugh and cry with joy and empathy. Who would not get the childhood shattered with an unimaginable sorrow? Rather than going down with it, the two brothers persevered with sheer determination alone. Not to mention and array of strong supporting characters like Izumi Curtis, Roy Mustang, Hawkeye, Hughes, Havoc, Fuery, Breda, Falman, Armstrongs, Scar, Marcoh, the Xingese (Lin, Ran Fan, Fu-jisan, Mei and even Xiao-Mei) and many many more.
It’s easy to create good guys but what about the bad guys? The depth of character of all homunculi, their struggle to survive and cunning. There was not a single character even on the bad side that could’ve been called shallow or filler for a bad face. From Barry the Chopper to Shou Tucker, everyone had their own axe to grind and agendas to fulfill. All homunculi were well-conceptualized characters that had solid ends and of course not all of them were bad, Greed came very close to become almost lovable.
After all that hard work of continuous second-guessing, sub-plots and clashes with Father’s minions, the Elric brothers finally were not only able to find the truth to the Philosopher’s Stone but the reason to go on and persevere. When it seemed all would fail, the fabulous end shown by sheer determination of a group of protagonist was simply EPIC! The last chapter needs standing ovation and a bow to Arakawa sensei’s long and hard slog coming to fruition.
My favorite moments: Er… Picture SPAM!
- The only thing that didn’t sit well with me is Mustang accepting Marcoh’s offer of using Philosopher’s stone to restore his eyesight. Sure, he would’ve to retire from his active service but at least Hawkeye could’ve been his eye. Of course, not everyone is a romantic like me and Mustang has always that gray streak about him. Though, I have to give it to him for doing this for the good of the Amestris. The next Fuhrer in making after Grumman, who surprisingly didn’t get kicked off from the throne.
- Even after losing alchemy, it was heartwarming to see that Ed and Al didn’t just give up rather will continue to search both East and West for a solution to equivalent exchange. Isn’t it always better to try again and again?
- Lin sure looks like an overbearing Emperor! =P Marry Ran Fan already, why is she sitting at the foot of your seat, you Bakka?
- Ed’s kid sure looks like a carbon copy of him. Is the girl Winry holding her own daughter or Mei and Al’s? And yeah, how the hell Mei became taller than Winry?!! Wtf?
- Go you, Havoc!!! Woohoo!
- Mustang boya, did you propose to Liza? What’s keeping you? =P
- Fuery, you nerd! xD
- Haha, seems like Armstrongs would remain strong… I know bad pun but had to!
- Is Yoki still bullied (playfully) by Chimeras? Hell yeah!
- DAWWW~ at Trisha and Van’s graves together. Pinako, where’s Den?
- Scar sure looks mucho better rediscovering himself with Briggs. Is that an overgrown Mohawk? I wonder who’s seme and uke… -shot-
- Falman, I wish you become Major soon. Srsly.
- At least Paninya’s not stealing from anyone.
- Izumi still rocks!
I for one would miss this story and would love to read more from Arakawa, Hiromu.
I might not continue with episodic review of FMA: Brotherhood but would post my thoughts by the end of series. Look forward to Ani-stats of May in a day or two. Till next time, Ja ne~